27 July 2007

More On the Lack of Civility & Manners

"Cellphones are wonderful, but they empower the obnoxious and amplify the ignorant. Once they kept their thoughts to themselves. They had no choice. Now they have cellphones, into which they bark, 'I'm on line at Duane Reade. Yeah. Ex-Lax.' Oh, thank you for sharing. How much less my life would be if I didn't know." ~ Peggy Noonan (See full article here.)

Oh how true, how true.

The other day, I was getting out of my vehicle to walk into the post office. I immediately noticed this fellow who was walking toward me at a very fast pace while looking me square in the face and talking loudly. Naturally, my defenses went up and just as I was about to take some drastic measures, I realized he was "bluetoothing." How utterly obnoxious and manner-less (and in his case, a health risk). I assume this man either lacked proper child training in his youth and/or was trying to impress me with how important he was.

Can anyone imagine Robert E. Lee or Joshua Chamberlain wearing a blue tooth and yapping on in public? We have become the slob society.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you ONE MILLION percent. And you dont ever want to spend time in central Florida if you think it's bad up there! This is a horrible place to live! Most people here just look forward to their next case of Busch beer.

D/S Barry Hill
Polk County Sheriff's Office
Lakeland, FL

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks Deputy. Just keep 'em off the highways.

Michael Aubrecht said...

Well said my friend. I don't even know where my cell phone is, or what my own number is (don't tell the wife). In case of an emergency it is handy, but other than that, you can have mine. And I have no idea how people can drive and chat at the same time! Maybe I'm just too old fashioned... they probably said the same thing about the rotary phone.

Lawrence Underwood said...

What I really enjoy is being the the middle of a conversation with someone and they suddenly begin another conversation with someone who just 'pinged in' on their bluetooth ear piece. Drives me nuts. This has happened on more than one occasion with different people. Civility is dying rapidly.