14 August 2007

Update on the Museum of the Confederacy

My trip to Lexington this evening was most interesting, enlightening, and productive! I am quite thrilled (and surprised) with all I was able to discover, see, and accomplish in just a few hours. One of these historical "discoveries" could be something quite astonishing, if proved to be true. I can't divulge the particulars now, but I hope to know more by next week.


First, an update on the Museum of the Confederacy: Lexington is still on the “short list”; albeit near the bottom. According to MOC board members, Lexington is lacking in what other localities are offering, namely cash and a positive attitude about the addition of the museum to their respective localities. My understanding is that one option that is seriously being considered is having the main offices of the museum stay in Richmond, i.e. administrative, archives, etc., and then having a total of three additional locations with the following favored: Appomattox, Chancellorsville, and Fort Monroe. One of these localities has, according to my source, offered the MOC $6 million dollars to locate there. Another has offered $300,000 on an ongoing, annual basis. All have offered new, custom designed buildings. Lexington has offered politically correct double-speak and childish bickering along with a century old abandoned courthouse in need of serious renovation and, NO money. The other localities have more foresight and, apparently, more brains.

This is not to say that Lexington is completely out of the running. While I find this multi-site idea intriguing, I still do not believe that the other localities can offer the synergy the move to Lexington would create with the town being the final resting place of both Lee & Jackson as well as the home of Washington & Lee University, Lee Chapel, Virginia Military Institute, The Stonewall Jackson House, The Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery, and Interstates 81 & 64—but they will need to step up to the plate to remain in the running—and do so very soon (my opinion).

If the city fathers (and lone mother), along with the Rockbridge County supervisors, fail or refuse to convince the MOC to locate in Lexington, they will one day be very embarrassed once everyone realizes the golden opportunity they let slip through their fingers. And if they fail, that day will come. When I paid a visit to Stonewall's grave, I am quite sure I detected a fearsome scowl on the face of his life-size bronze statue, cast toward City Hall.

I’ll have some more “stuff” about my trip to post soon.

1 comment:

Lawrence Underwood said...

What is Rockbridge county thinking? That bastion of secession support and fine military men, training, and history. It seems like it would be a crowing jewel.