05 December 2007

Strange & Shameful Conduct at Oakwood

For those of you who have been following the developments at Oakwood Cemetery (See here & here), the issue still has not been resolved. I can't comprehend what the problem is with the Richmond Mayor's office and why the Commonwealth is allowing Richmond to ignore law passed by the General Assembly. Could you or I get by with simply thumbing our noses at state law? I just found out that a man from South Carolina installed a new upright marker at his ancestor's grave and Richmond officials had it removed and won't reveal its whereabouts! Where I come from, that's known as larceny. What in the world is going on? This is a win-win for everyone. Descendants will lovingly take care of the cemetery and save Richmond taxpayers over $30,000 a year. What's the issue here? My own June email inquiry to Mayor Wilder's office has been ignored. No response whatsoever. Here's what I emailed to the Mayor's office:

Dear Mayor Wilder:

I have a great-great grandfather buried at Oakwood Cemetery (John Meredith Crutchfield) and I am writing to respectfully request that the City of Richmond allow the Sons of Confederate Veterans to take over maintenance of Oakwood Cemetery. As you know, the General Assembly has authorized this and the SCV possesses both the funds and willingness to maintain Oakwood and honor the dead that rest there.

Thank you in advance for your consideration. I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Richard G. Williams, Jr.

As noted, my own great-great grandfather is buried at Oakwood. Earlier this year, my 89 year-old great-aunt made a very difficult, special trip to Oakwood thinking her grandfather's grave was properly marked. To her dismay, she found only a crude stone marker with a number on it. Why won't Richmond officials allow these veterans have the honor they deserve? We will soon find out.

4 comments:

Michael C. Hardy said...

Richard - would it help if non-Virginians started a letter campaign to the Mayor?

Regards,
Michael

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

It sure couldn't hurt Michael. Thanks.

Deb Goodrich said...

Richard, I'm forwarding your blog link to my good friend and activist, Ed Kennedy, (Lt. Col. ret.) who is the head of the SCV Camp in Leavenworth. This is absolutely outrageous!!!!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thank you Deb. It is outrageous - and curious. As I stated, this is a win-win for everyone.