24 January 2008

Laugh Out Loud

Every once in a while the good folks over at Civil War Interactive interject something in their weekly blog reviews that cause me to chuckle out loud. Today was one of those instances. They referred to my national "journalist" contact (see post below) as an "ink-stained wretch."

Since CWI is an internet based publication, I suppose that was a tongue in cheek jab at the print media, but it just struck me as very funny for some reason. I appreciate their well-intended humor!

2 comments:

Brian Downey said...

Hi Richard,

I can't speak for Laurie, but I don't think it's a jab.

It's been a while since my last journalism class, but "ink-stained wretch" is a label some reporters use to describe themselves. It's somewhat self-deprecating, and may be specific to the junior members of the club who work more for the joy of the writing than the pay ...

It's a little like calling myself a "geek". It's really only a jab if you call me one.

Still sounds funny, though, I agree. :)

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hey Brian, thanks for writing. And thanks for enlightening me on the origin of the term. By "jab", I meant in a non-insulting, "just having fun" kind of way. I do enjoy Laurie's sense of humor!

Best,
RGW