30 June 2008

Off to Gettysburg!

This will be my last post until Sunday night (6 July). I and my lovely bride are going to take a much-needed break and spend a few days in Gettysburg. We plan to leave Thursday morning and return home some time Sunday afternoon. Usually, we hang close to home on Independence Day and will really miss Lexington's celebration this year. But I wanted to see the new visitor's center as well as experience Gettysburg during the annual reenactment - something I've never done.

I hope to visit a few bookstores and maybe do an impromptu signing or two, although I have nothing "official" scheduled.

I hope you all have a safe and blessed Independence Day.

5 comments:

chaps said...

I live in Fairfax, VA and go to Gettysburg a couple times per month for the day. I always wear my SCV pin and remind locals that if it weren't for my ancestors, Gettysburg would still be a sleepy market town. The new visitor's center is very good but the statue of the Confederate soldier at the entrance to the museum has a glaring error.... can you spot it?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hello Chaps. Thanks for writing. I'm sorry, but I didn't see your comment until after I had visited the new visitor's center. What is the glaring error?

chaps said...

Mr Williams-

The statue has his blanket roll over the right shoulder. In that position, it would have interfered with the use of his musket. The error comes from pictures of soldiers printed backwards as often happened. The clue in the pictures is what side of the musket the hammer appears. I mentioned it to staff when I was up there and they said they'd research it.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Interesting. I'm wonder if they will install an "interpretive" plaque for historical accuracy? :)

chaps said...

Sir-

This afternoon, one of my WBTS history magazines arrived and it had a letter to the editor on the very topic of blanket rolls. There was a picture of CSA troops in the street at Frederick, MD just before Sharpsburg. Two of them clearly had their rolls over their right shoulder. Most on the left. So, I am reminded again of the perils of the word "always." Let's say "most" wore the blanket over the left shoulder. I doubt the National Park will have anything to say at all. I'm just glad they have one of ours on display.