21 July 2008

Gray Ghost Theatre Mini-Review

My experience at the Gray Ghost Theatre Company in Manassas Friday evening was a memorable one. As I mentioned in earlier posts, the company’s director, Mr. Ken Elston, had invited me to give some pre-performance remarks about Stonewall Jackson and his relationship with African-Americans. Though I only spoke for about 15 minutes, it was a great opportunity to discuss Stonewall Jackson and his Lexington Sunday school for slaves and free blacks.

The performance itself is one I would highly recommend to all those interested in Civil War history, especially if you are interested in the story of John Singleton Mosby as the story centers around his life before, during, and after the war.

Mixing music—and a little comedy—with narratives taken from actual letters and diaries, the actors did an excellent job in both entertaining and educating the audience about Mosby’s Confederacy, including the perspectives of African-Americans. If you are familiar with Stonewall Country at the Lime Kiln Theater in Rockbridge County, then you can get a feel for what this performance was like.

My wife and I plan to return with our grandchildren at some point in the future.


3 comments:

Chaps said...

I thought you'd enjoy that evening. I loved Stonewall Country (and would give a body part for a CD of the music..my cassette having worn out) and think Gray Ghost is a worthy successor. I am pastor of a church in Aldie, right in the middle of Mosby's Confederacy, and on quiet nights, you can hear the hoofbeats on the turnpike.

Jacqui Brown said...

Thank you Mr. Williams for your review of the Gray Ghost Voices. My name is Jacqueline Brown, and my character is "Lu" in the production. Your comments about our performance was very nice and I feel a little prouder about being a part of a moving experience such as the Gray Ghost Theatre. Again, thank you and God Bless You.

Jacqueline "Jacqui" Brown

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Jacqui - you are most welcome. I wish you all the best in the future - keep up the great work!

RGW