26 September 2008

Saint Abraham

Some CW historians & bloggers regularly take pot shots at those who write about the Christian faith of Lee and Jackson, as well as those who hold these men in high esteem as heroes. Others like to label such writers as "lost causers" promoting a "romanticized" version of the Confederacy.

(My previous post on this subject elicited several comments.)

Strangely, those same critics are silent regarding what Dr. Michael R. Bradley has called "the myth of the Holy Cause." I wonder if we'll see the Southern heritage bashers poo-poo the deluge of books about Abraham Lincoln's faith. I won't hold my breath.

Regarding Lincoln, I've recently acquired two books about the 16th President. I hope to read both soon. The first is Stephen B. Oates's With Malice Toward None. The second is Forced Into Glory by Lerone Bennett, Jr. (Please don't anyone suggest Doris Kearns Goodwin's work. Plagiarizers don't interest me.)

It's been a while since I read a biography of Lincoln as I've never really been interested in studying him in depth. (Is that heresy?) But both of these books came highly recommended. We'll see.

No comments: