06 October 2008

Suspicions Confirmed

At least 2 undisturbed graves have been confirmed at this location, houses may have been built over many more - I've been told hundreds, perhaps as many as a couple of thousand more. I was at the location in Lexington yesterday. An "official" report is pending, thanks due largely to the efforts of the local Sons of Confederate Veterans camp in Lexington and the work of Doug Harwood, who has been agitating the city of Lexington for years over the issue. I first discovered this story when researching my book about Stonewall Jackson's black Sunday school class. I interviewed several descendants of those with connections to this old cemetery, as well as Evergreen cemetery where both Jeff Shields and Levi Miller are buried. My book called for some type of a monument to commemorate this cemetery.

More to come soon.

No comments: