27 February 2009

Labels Are Useful

I recently came across this comment on another CW blog:
"I think that if we all dropped the terms 'politically correct' and 'revisionist history' and any number of other buzz phrases, that better dialogue would naturally result."
Since both of those subjects are regular targets of criticism here at the OVB, I thought I'd jump in with a comment; to wit: Sure, I'd be glad to drop those terms - as soon as political correctness dies a worthy death and "revisionist history" ceases. But I don't look for that to happen any time soon. Of course, that means others would have to stop using "buzz phrases" like "neo-Confederate" and "holocaust denier" (the latter just because someone disagrees with their interpretation of history regarding the War Between the States); hardly conducive for "better dialogue."

Actually, labels and so-called "buzz phrases" are often quite useful, when you can back them up with facts.

4 comments:

S. Campbell said...

After reading this, the first thing I thought of was an interview with Ted Nugent I once saw.
Ted Nugent said that he didn't think people should be sensored, because if they were, we wouldn't know who the jerks were.
Like sensoring, if we got rid of the labels and "buzz phrases", we might not know who the jerks were.
I'm a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, but I may not want to hang out with "neo-Confederates", so it's good to know what one is and who fits the description.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

The term "neo-Confederate" is often used to impugn anyone who celebrates the Confederate aspect of Southern history and heritage, as well as those writers and others who may disagree with some aspect of academia's version of the WBTS. That statement, too, is rather "broad-brushed" but I think you get my point.

Thanks for your input Steve!

S. Campbell said...

I probably should have explained myself a little better.
The term "neo-Confederate" is a blanket label that many use for anyone who celebrates anything Confederate, but I personally see the label "neo-Confederate" as a label for people that are trying to bring back the old south and want secession of states again with a bit of an in your face attitude.
I always liked the old southern humorist Jerry Clower. One of the things that he would talk about was that we all need to start loving one another. We can't do that if we are expressing and in your face attitude. Even to me the label neo-Confederate tends to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

I agree completely.