23 February 2009

A Stick Caused The War Between The States



WBTS blog cruisers are often subjected to negative criticism of Ron Maxwell's Gods & Generals, but I've never heard any similar criticisms about the film, Young Mr. Lincoln. I guess that doesn't fit the template. I can barely recall seeing this film as a kid; I believe I watched it on the old cable station WTTG channel 5, out of Washington D.C. which used to run lots of classic old films. Or I may have seen it in grade school, I'm not sure. Anyway, this film looks rather entertaining, as I love the way these old movies were done. I think I'll rent it and watch it again. It might make for some interesting blog posting material.

5 comments:

Jubilo said...

Dear Old Dominion,
I enjoy both of these films !"Gods and Generals," while not a perfectly edited film, is almost pure history ( no wonder folks don't like it !),and presents scenes never before brought to the screen. "Young Mr. Lincoln," is Illinois mythology; a poem on film .The final scene as Lincoln walks into the storm is John Ford at his best. How you feel about Virigia is how some of us feel about Illinois ( which technically used to be Virginia).
cordially,
David Corbett

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Ah, David, your comments are always insightful! You're right about Gods and Generals and why some don't like it, though I do agree that some of the scenes took liberty with the facts and some were a little sappy, though that is to be expected in film.

My main point here is that, as usual, the critics most often direct their barbs at all things Southern while leaving the Holy Cause Mythology alone. Instructive, is it not?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

PS: At least we can finally put to rest the debate over the cause of the WBTS.

Anonymous said...

It's funny that the criticism leveled at Gods and Generals (most of which comes from Yankee-land)- too long, boring, too many speeches, 'lard a--' reenactors, etc. -that Gettysburg -which meets with their near universal approval- has the exact same flaws and the same 'lard a--' reenactors.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Exactly. As I already noted, it is quite instructive.