27 March 2009

Jackson's Memory Still Being Etched In Stone


"A heartfelt commitment to Shenandoah Valley heritage and to the classic beauty of natural stone construction has led Frazier Quarry to make true bluestone commercially available once again with Stonewall Grey®, the Valley's Own Bluestone. Named after Stonewall Jackson, this stone is the same stone used in historic buildings throughout the Shenandoah Valley."

So says the website of Frazier Stone, a local stone quarry. Even after being dead for almost 150 years, Stonewall Jackson's name continues to be associated with area landmarks - even brand new ones. For example, the recently completed Rockbridge County Courthouse in Lexington, Virginia used Stonewall Grey stone for part of its construction, as did James Madison University for some recent renovation projects. The stone is also a favorite of local homebuilders.

This is a photo of part of the exterior of the Rockbridge County Courthouse. I suppose it would be accurate to say, that in a clandestine sort of way, even the new courthouse is a monument to Stonewall Jackson. Very fitting in my opinion. His name lives on.

(I'm off to Liberty University's 13th Annual Civil War Seminar - March 27-28. This promises to be a most interesting event and I'm looking very forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones. I'll post some photos and comments upon my return. Also, I'm up to my neck in some very interesting projects which I'll discuss in more detail soon.)

1 comment:

Pam Walter said...

The stone is beautiful! What a great color for a house exterior. http:www.satisfiedsole.com