17 March 2009

Justice Thomas Speaks At Lee Chapel


He responded to a question from a student: "Was slavery constitutional?" It would have been quite interesting if someone had asked him about secession. ;o)



"I have nothing, but fond memories of the time I came and spent here at VMI and here in Lexington." (Justice Thomas's son attended VMI)

He spoke to a crowd of 300 at the "Shrine of the South" - Lee Chapel on the campus of Washington & Lee University in Lexington, Virginia. Justice Thomas is one of my heroes. I admire him greatly and he is the quintessential Southern gentleman. His personal story is quite amazing.

Watch some video of his comments here.

5 comments:

brboyd said...

This was great reading. Amazing it came from network news. Thanks for posting it!

Anonymous said...

Yes, one of the few remaining lynchpins in the Supreme Court protecting the Constitution and individual rights.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

You're welcome. I could have driven there in 30 minutes. It may have been closed to the public though, I don't know. I'd love to have heard his speech.

James F. Epperson said...

"I'd love to have heard his speech."

No, you wouldn't have; supposedly he said that some man named Lincoln was his favorite president...

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Well of course. I already knew that. Justice Thomas is a great man and I would love to have been there.