04 June 2009

Rockbridge CWRT Topic - Secession


The Civil War round table at Virginia Military Institute and the Rockbridge Civil War Round Table are co-sponsoring a talk this Thursday, June 4, on the secession crisis in Rockbridge County at the start of the Civil War.

Tom Rittenburg, the author of a new book entitled “Compelled to Fight: The Secession Crisis in Rockbridge County, Virginia,” will speak on his book at 7:30 p.m. in the Turman Room at VMI’s Preston Library.

Rittenburg, a lawyer who lives in California, is a 1975 graduate of Washington and Lee University. For his honors thesis, he had written on the secession crisis in Rockbridge County, spending over a year poring over old records and letters in the W&L archives. After years of additional researching, he has expanded his thesis into a full historical study.

Copies of his book, which was printed by Mariner Publishing in Buena Vista, will be available for purchase and signing at the meeting. Refreshments will be served.

From the Lexington News-Gazette

Note: I'm off to Winchester tomorrow with the bride of my youth (Update to that post: 13 grandchildren) to celebrate our 29th anniversary - you know, love, kisses, and mushy stuff like that. No posts or comments will be posted until my return late Saturday.

11 comments:

James F. Epperson said...

I am not retreating one iota from anything I've said here, but someone who has been married 29 years deserves a commendation of some sort. My wife and I will hit 26 years in a couple of weeks (6/18); we have been "a couple" for longer than that: 28 years. My secrets to a successful marriage are: lots of communication, and (not meaning to gross anyone out) lots of, shall we say, "intimacy."

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

James:

Thank you. Your recipe for a successful marriage is a good one. I would agree. Also, for my wife and I, sharing the same Christian faith has gotten us through some tough times.

Congratulations to you and Mrs. Epperson on your upcoming 26th. Here's wishing you another 26.

Best,
RGW

Michael Bradley said...

Congratulations, rookies. This weekend is our 46th. You both have much to for which you should look forward.

acwresearcher said...

Congratulations to you and Mrs. Williams.

Yeah, it's all "mushy stuff," but we married guys would be lying if we said we didn't like it a little bit.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Michael:

You're sprinting toward 50! I told my dear wife that she only has one year left on probation.

;o)

Greg:

We like it "a little bit?" That's "a little bit" of an understatement my friend.

Best,
RGW

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary Mr. Williams, and God bless.

Kevin said...

Congratulations Richard and have a wonderful weekend.

Kevin at Civil War Memory

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks Kevin - you do the same.

RGW

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks Anon.

RGW

Brboyd said...

I hope your stay in Winchester proves enjoyable. It supposed to be nice. I will be passing you on the freeway, heading toward Luray this weekend.

Happy Anniversary! I will be on my 22nd year come August.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

BR:

Thanks. We had a great time. We attended the "Gathering of Eagles" reception on Friday night (unplanned) and I'll post something about that and the trip later.

RGW