05 October 2009

Good-Bye . . . Maybe

I can certainly sympathize with Eric Wittenberg's recent post regarding burnout and blogging. I've had many of the same thoughts and feelings in recent months. Even though I've been fairly active with posting lately, and involved in some rather heated debates, I tend to have a love/hate relationship with the blogosphere.

The discussions often digress into pettiness, name calling, and insults (I'm guilty as well) while few minds are ever changed in the online debates. Arguments which center around perspectives and interpretations go around in circles with opponents simply regurgitating the same points over and over and over. I'm tired of being taken out of context (often purposely) by those who are pushing an agenda. It's all gotten very old. Frankly, I'm bored out of mind with it all. And these distractions and frustrations have all been multiplied as I've also recently been blogging under a pseudonym on a rather popular conservative blog.

Furthermore, I have a couple of books that I really need to get to work on (one almost complete) as well as a couple of magazine and newspaper articles I've promised to publishers. I still believe that print publications have much more permanence and impact than all the background noise on the internet, which is posted and then forgotten. Blogging is becoming more of a distraction than anything else. I feel as though my time would be better spent on putting something in print than spending so much time here.

Also, spending more time with my dear wife, my 6 children, my 13 grandchildren and writing hard copy (in lieu of blogging) would also likely provide some much-needed therapy.

I have not made up my mind yet, but this is the direction I'm leaning. What I will likely do is upload a few posts that I've been holding back for a while, then take a break or maybe limit my posting to once a week, or perhaps none at all. We'll see. Right now I'm going to go eat some homemade spaghetti my daughter just made, then go work it off at the gym.

15 comments:

jacksonianlawyer said...

RW, though I certainly understand your sentiments, I posit that it would be a tremendous loss should you so retire.

This indeed is a love-hate relationship. But, we are experiencing a time in our nation's history in which the stakes could not be higher. In such a time, every forum is critical, particularly so with our medium - the last bastion for the voices of true Conservatism, liberty and American Exceptionalism to be heard...until we lose the internet to Obama "cybersecurity" control anyway.

The bottom line - I find your posts and commentary to invariably be astute, eloquent and well-reasoned, not to mention spot-on. I would hate to lose that.

Selfish? Perhaps. Nonetheless, I think there's a "higher calling" at play here too. Do what you feel you are being called to do, but know that should it be determined to be "hanging it up," your blog will be missed.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

JL:

Thank you sir. The words from an honorable attorney as yourself are most encouraging and I will take them under advisement.

Now, where do I send your check?

;o)

RGW

Michael Aubrecht said...

Take a well-deserved break my friend, but remain vigilant. Your insights are a blessing and your blog matters.

John Lewis Sims said...

Please Sir, don't stop.
I got into another debate with my teacher, by the end of class three of my fellow students called me racist. Reading your blog makes me feel less alone.
Thank You.
John Lewis Sims

RTRNoVa said...

Sir,

I understand the feelings. I have backed away from blogging a bit due to the pettiness. However, you have been and continue to be a light of comfort in this maelstrom of confusion. Take a deserved rest, but please do not go away completely.

Michael Bradley said...

Richard, I have never gotten into blogging because of the demands it makes on one's time. I would not like to see your voice silenced, however, since that would leave too much space to be filled by people who have a strong bias against the South and against any dissenting views.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Michael A., John, RTRN, Michael B. -

Thank you all for your support and kind words.

ConfederateColonel said...

RTRNoVa said it perfectly: "a light of comfort in this maelstrom of confusion." While one can certainly understand that a soldier gets weary under his heavy burden, it is also true that so many depend on his sacrifice. There are so very few Southern Gentlemen still around - and fewer still with the talent, intellect, and courage to so eloquently defend the honor of The South. Know that while your "retirement" from writing this blog would be completely understandable, the loss would be enormous. I am certain that all of us who follow your writing will support you no matter what you ultimately decide.

Thank you, sir, for all you have done and will do!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thank you Colonel.

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Hey, where'd my comment go?

David H. Jones said...

I understand your frustration with the time required to prepare your thoughtful and insightful posts. My hope is that you will continue posting to your blog, but at a more comfortable pace. Clearly, "these are the times that try men's souls" and our freedoms are at great risk. Your articulate words provide assurance that there is still rational thought in irrational times.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Dr. P:

I don't know . . . ?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thank you David.

jacksonianlawyer said...

RW - My pleasure my friend. In your case, my efforts will always be pro bono. ;)

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Ach! Well, anyhow I just was saying how much I enjoy your posts and how many times I've posted your news items, etc. Your blog aids me in writing mine. It indeed would be a horrible loss if you left! (At least compromise and post every week or so, eh?)

Spencer