29 October 2009

More On A Great Virginia Tradition . . .

Distrust of government . . .

In the last several years, and most significantly since the election of the current administration and  Congress, the trend towards increased Federal Government control over every aspect of the lives of Virginia’s citizens has been alarming.  The time is now to turn the tide away from destructive big government policies, toward a less intrusive, less oppressive form of government; a return to the first principles intended by the founding fathers. I will apply these founding principles to every aspect of my work as your next Attorney General.  For this reason, I have chosen the Gadsden Flag as a symbol for my campaign.

"In the last several years, and most significantly since the election of the current administration and Congress, the trend towards increased Federal Government control over every aspect of the lives of Virginia’s citizens has been alarming. The time is now to turn the tide away from destructive big government policies, toward a less intrusive, less oppressive form of government; a return to the first principles intended by the founding fathers. I will apply these founding principles to every aspect of my work as your next Attorney General. For this reason, I have chosen the Gadsden Flag as a symbol for my campaign."

And Virginia's flag symbolizes that great tradition and our founding principles . . .











This healthy distrust of the government is an important aspect of American Exceptionalism. I worked in state government for 12 years. "Trust" me, that "distrust" is well-placed.

3 comments:

Corey Meyer said...

I don't know if distrust of government is unique to America as other things are, but I agree a good distrust of the government is part of our American fabric.

But I must ask...When does a healthy dose of distrust become a distructive, unhealthy distrust?

It seems that we are on that path right now.

IMHO...

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hello Corey. I think it is unique in what it wrought. In answer to your question, I would cite Timothy McVeigh - his distrust certainly was destructive. I would also cite the conspiracy nuts who think 9/11 was an "inside job." Though the unhealthy aspect would just apply to one's mental health.

The path we're on right now is destructive, but my view as to why is 180 degrees of yours.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Oh yeah, Bill Ayers also took his distrust of government too far too, didn't he?