19 December 2009

Shenandoah - Blue Ridge Snowstorm

































As some readers probably know, we are in the midst of a major snowstorm in many parts of Virginia. At my home off the Howardsville Turnpike and at the foot of the Blue Ridge, we're bumping 30 inches total - the most since 1996. (Global warming I suppose) Anyway, this is the view from my front porch. I'll measure later this evening for a total after it stops. The "humps" in the 2nd photo are our van and car. A great day to work in my basement office while listening to Christmas music.
(Click on images for larger view).

9 comments:

Pam Walter said...

The photos are beautiful!

Hope you have a very blessed Christmas and a wonderful new year.

Peace,
Pam

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thank you Pam and thanks for your regular comments. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Still snowing here . . .

Lawrence Underwood said...

Ah, the balmy South!

Thanks for posing the pictures. They are very interesting. I have not seen snow like that in a long time.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Lawrence:

Neither have we! It just stopped about an hour ago. We are snowed in probably until late tomorrow afternoon. I spoke to some friends who live right off the Blue Ridge Parkway, about 3 miles as the crow flies from my place, and they said they had right at 36" - and it was still snowing! The forecast calls for more snow on Christmas Eve.

Chaps said...

"Oh Scarlet, my men are barefoot now and the snow in Virginia is deep." - Major Ashley Wilkes

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Good one Chaps!

Alex said...

It must be "climate cooling" in Virginia, because that does not look like global warming to me. Ha!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Alex;

Thanks for the comment. We didn't get quite as much as what I'd originally thought - "only" 22 inches. Just a few miles from us on the Blue Ridge they got over 30 inches in places.

Still quite a snow for Old Virginia.

13thBama said...

Thank goodness the neighbor had a snow blower! We finally got everything cleaned up enough to walk out of our house and get the cars moving. Unfortunately, I will be going to Carolina after Christmas and will not have the beautiful snow (I think?)