04 January 2010

Economic Downturn Impacts The Stonewall Jackson House

Many museums and historic sites throughout the Nation are experiencing a reduction in traffic. So it comes as no surprise that the Stonewall Jackson House in Lexington is cutting back its hours . . .

"The Stonewall Jackson Foundation announced that starting Sunday, the Stonewall Jackson House will be closed to the public during the months of January and February, except for group tours of 10 or more scheduled at least 48 hours in advance."


I try and support many of these sites/museums whenever I can. Those that offer memberships, like the Museum of the Confederacy, receive my support that way. Some time later this week, I'll be traveling to Lee Chapel in Lexington to sign a few books and I always try to purchase a little something in the gift shop there. Many of the people who work these gift shops and historic sites are volunteers and supporting them by purchasing a book or souvenir helps to keep the doors open. Although Christmas gift-giving is over, perhaps the next time you need a birthday, anniversary, or other gift item, you might consider a purchase from one of your favorite historic sites or museums.

3 comments:

The Warrior said...

That's too bad....

But seriously, I can't stay away from museum gift shops!

One time I spent over $100 in one, not to mention the countless other times I made purchases there!

Spencer

Anonymous said...

Good idea. Now that my boys are 6 yrs old, I think it's time to take them to these historical museums. Plus, I haven't been 15 years.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Great - please tell them I recommended the SJH.