21 January 2010

Patrick Henry College Beats Harvard In Debate

"Just 10 years old, 350-student Patrick Henry College won its fourth national debate championship in six years. The Virginia evangelical Christian school, founded by the leading Christian homeschool organization, is the only college or university to win the American Collegiate Moot Court Association national championship more than once. Other schools competing included Harvard, Miami, Syracuse, Holy Cross, the College of Wooster and Fitchburg State College. "

I'm proud to say that my youngest daughter, who we homeschooled from age 4 until she graduated high school, was accepted at Patrick Henry a few years ago. Though she chose another school, I'm still very proud of her accomplishment as PHC is extremely competitive. PHC caters to homeschoolers, you know, that dangerous method of education that should be criminalized.

I wonder if academics who think homeschooling should be criminalized or is somehow inferior to other methods could hold their own in a debate with these PHC students?


7 comments:

WerewolfinExile said...

What a great underdog story. Maybe I am just jaded against the elites at pillars of snobbery like Harvard, but watching them lose always makes me smile. Especially when value/mission driven schools are the victors. I haven't heard of PHC, but it sounds like Hillsdale College, which is an institution I've always admired.

Let's hope they keep it up.

jacksonianlawyer said...

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing RW.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Wolf:

Yes, somewhat similar in philosophy, though much smaller.

See: http://hslda.org

JL:

You're welcome.

Chaps said...

I, too, have a bit of disdain for the "elite" schools. When I was in grad school in Atlanta, I had a T-shirt that read:

"Harvard- The Emory of the North."

Lawrence Underwood said...

The Emory of the North. . . . I like it!

Anonymous said...

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but moot court is not really debate. The Harvard debate team competes in the National Debate Tournament. If you want to find a Christian school that does excel at debate, look to Liberty. Oh...and Emory is one of the top debate teams in the nation as well. :)

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Anon - a court trial (even a mock one), is certainly a debate in the general sense. However, your point is well taken. Thanks for the comment.