12 May 2010

Speaking Of Duty, Honor, Country . . .


Today, in 1962, General Douglas MacArthur delivered his timeless speech, Duty, Honor, Country at West Point. The anniversary of the speech dovetails nicely with recent posts.



MacArthur scorns those who with "mockery & ridicule" attack and criticize these timeless and honorable concepts. Sound familiar?

“I did only what my duty demanded. I could have taken no other course without dishonour. And if it all were to be done over again, I should act in precisely the same manner.” ~ Robert E. Lee
 

3 comments:

Chaps said...

MacArthur may have been an egotistical SOB but he has it exactly right here. Listening to this and thinking of the current state of our service academies, especially the Naval Academy, I could just weep.

msimons said...

My late Grandfather served under Ole Mac and revered him more than any other man I heard him speak of.

Being a Arkie Born and Raised, I grew up reading and revering Gen. Mac seeing he was born at the Arsenal in LR where his Father was in Command.

Duty, Honor, County These 3 words were drilled into me by my Grandfather.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

All of my grandfathers served in the military. The concept was conveyed to me as well.