22 June 2010

New Civil War Chaplains Museum Video

As one of the trustees for the National Civil War Chaplains Museum, I was involved (behind the scenes) in the initial efforts to produce an introductory video for the museum's website; which is in the process of being updated. Last year, I was sent an uncut edition of Professor James I. Robertson's interview about the work of Chaplains during the WBTS. I also saw an unedited version of the video a few months ago but was unaware the video below had been posted to Youtube. My frequent "historical adversary" ;o) and fellow CW blogger, Kevin Levin, just sent me an email alerting me to the video on Youtube (I must have missed that memo) with the thought I might be interested in posting the video here.  So, a hearty thank you to Kevin. The video is of excellent quality and Bud Robertson's commentary is quite informative. Do visit the museum in Lynchburg if you can. Admission is free and it's right off Route 29.

6 comments:

Chaps said...

I'll get this posted on the MCA web site.

As true today as back then: "a good chaplain is not remembered for what he said but for what he did."

A chaplain factoid: the statue of Father Corby at Gettysburg is the only memorial to a chaplain on a battlefield any where in the world.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks Chaps - that would be great. I did not know that about Corby. Interesting.

Jubilo said...

Dear Old Dom.,
I liked Matt Damon as the priest in the opening scenes.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Yeah, they cut out the part where he rips off his clerical coat and is actually Jason Bourne in disguise.

Man, I loved that scene.

msimons said...

One Summer I must make it to this place to see what my fellow ministers endured for the cause of Christ on those battle fields.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Mike - we'd love to have you.