14 July 2010

Civil War Relic Hunting


About 3 years ago, I purchased a used "legendary" Fisher 1266x metal detector from a friend of mine who is a retired police officer. I brought it home, took it out in the back yard and, within 5 minutes, found a silver earring that one of my daughters had lost over 10 years ago. I came back inside, put the detector in the corner and hadn't touched it since - until recently. I've picked up a renewed interest in the hobby and hope to spend quite a bit of time relic and coin hunting in the weeks and months to come. I'll be posting on my adventures when something interesting happens. It's a perfect hobby for me since it involves history and my fascination with mystery and treasure hunting. It's also perfect for me because I live in one of the most historic areas of not only the United States, but of Virginia - the Shenandoah Valley. And I know the Valley, its people, its back roads, historic sites, and surrounding counties very well since I've lived here for all of my 52 years. Below is an interesting video on the subject of metal detecting. Be sure and watch part 2 and some of the other related videos.

10 comments:

Douglas Hill said...

Don't forget- if you need a pard I'm sitting on GO.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hey Doug. Yes, I'll be giving you a call after summer's over - and the snakes are gone! I'm going to fool around with it by myself and get to know the detector first, hunt a few yards, things like that.

msimons said...

This one hobby I have not got into yet. Good luck in your searchs.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks Mike. I'm really looking forward to it.

Mark Snell said...

RGW,

As a young man, relic hunting spurred me to learn more about the Civil War and American history in general (that was 35 years ago). I wish I had the time to get out the shovel now! Keep us posted when you find something interesting.

Mark Snell

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks Mark, I'll be sure and do that. I understand the time constraints too. I'd be out there every day if I had the time. I won't be able to do any serious relic hunting until fall though. Some of the sites I want to hunt are currently overgrown - besides, I don't like snakes!

I'm going to practice on some sites that are more accessible until then. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Best,
RW

Sharon said...

Sorry but where is part 2?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Sharon - my mistake. Here's part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lsv4T3DCzs&feature=related

Here's part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTZGy63jpf0&feature=related

Michael said...

I live in franklin county, va. I went out several years ago to salem va at Hanging rock and found an artillery shell. I have decided to get back into the relic hunting business as I used to enjoy it so much. I have read about a few skermishes in the roanoke area and am too have waited for overgrowth to die back. If you ever are looking for a partner to go along with I can give ya my email. I am looking for people to maybe go out with as I am trying to dip my feet back into this. I have done some research on some areas around here to check out.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hey Michael. Thanks for stopping by. By all means, send me your email and perhaps we can get together this spring. You're not far from me - thanks!