10 July 2010

Front Porck Pickin' #9

Get your culture here. River baptisms were once common in Southern Appalachia - and still are in many areas. After my own - along with my wife's - conversion in 1979, we were both baptized in a creek near Crozet, Virginia. It was in early April and I recall the water was still very cold. Christians Creek, here in my home county of Augusta, was so named because of the many baptisms that occurred there in the county's early history. As in many of the scenes in the images below, many friends and family members gathered along the creek bank that day to celebrate with us, along with the others being baptized. It is one of my most cherished memories.

7 comments:

msimons said...

You can't help but love the Angelic Voice of Alison Krauss.

Anonymous said...

Gotta Love That Illinois Girl!!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Yes, born to parents from Mississippi.

Michael Lynch said...

I met her once. A friend of mine who manages a radio station put on a series of country and bluegrass concerts, and he asked me and some other folks he knew to help out backstage, because he didn't want to have to depend on hired runners to make sure the celebs got what they needed. She just showed up unannounced at one of the shows. I think she knew the headliner--it might have been Ricky Skaggs that night, I don't remember.

When the opening act started I went into the green room to relax and read a book--I'm not much of a country music fan--and she was asleep on a couch. I didn't recognize her until somebody told me. My aunt was there to cater the food for the performers, and she'd been talking to her all evening without knowing who it was.

I don't think she ever actually went out into the arena to see the show, so I have no idea why she came. The funny part is that my aunt didn't have a sitter, so my little cousins were there, running around backstage, and the younger one ended up sitting on her lap and shooting the breeze for a while. Apparently she really liked him.

--ML

Anonymous said...

God knows we all cannot be perfect...

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Michael:

Thanks for the comment. Interesting. I know very little about her outside her music, which I love - a lot of it anyway. I was a little puzzled with her teaming up with Robert Plant. Talk about the odd couple!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Anon - actually, God knows none of us perfect. That's why He sent His Son.