29 July 2010

Man Caves


Here's a really cool post about the offices and "man caves" of some famous writers and others. Go to the link and view the office/studies of Hemingway, Frederick Douglass, Mark Twain, and other men of renown. Since I was a boy, the retreats, studies, and offices of men have always fascinated me for some reason. Perhaps it was because I grew up watching my grandfather working at his desk (which I still own and use) - tinkering with old watches, rolling a cigarette with glueless OCB papers, smoking a pipe, listening to the radio, reading, working leather or making a belt buckle. A lot can be revealed about a man by what is in his office - photos, mementos, books, etc.

As Marshall Fishwick wrote in his wonderful mini-biography of General Lee, titled Lee After the War:

“Offices are silent biographies of those who spend much of their lives in them.” 

I've been wanting to post a video tour of my office for some time, but just can't seem to get around to it. Soon hopefully. Here's a site where you can take a virtual tour of Robert E. Lee's office. So, with all this in mind, I'd like to invite all my readers to submit photos of your "man cave", office, or study along with a paragraph or so describing your "retreat." Please take the time, this could be fun. I'll pick a few (maybe all), and post the photos here, along with your text. We'll then have a poll on the favorite and the winning submission will get an autorgaphed copy of my book about Jackson's Sunday school class. 

2 comments:

13thBama said...

Ok, I have a man cave more than an office. I will try and find some time to post a photograph. Or, I will email it to you and you can post it. It is decorated in the color of a certain college football team... can anyone guess which one? lol

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

13B - yes, that's fine. A shop, garage, etc also qualifies.