24 August 2010

Eat Or We Both Starve


In a comment the other day on this post, I advised: "look for the oldest, greasiest looking place in some rural area and you'll often find a dining treasure." This is especially true in the South. Case in point - watch the film below. A work of art. Fried catfish. I want some. Now. There is so much I love about this short film. Southern culture at its finest. The South as many of us know and love her. Would you want to be anything other than a Southerner?


Eat Or We Both Starve from Joe York on Vimeo.

Thank you Joe.

10 comments:

Rebel Raider said...

"He ate pork, and pork will kill ya. And it did when he was 98 years old."

I about fell out of my chair laughing at that one....priceless! Just for that, I believe I will have that barbecue this weekend after all.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

RR - yeah, I know, I loved that one too! The Dr. warned my great-grandmother the same thing about eggs. They finally got hers She was 89.

Isn't that a great piece of film? Wait 'til you see what I post tomorrow evening.

13thBama said...

Thanks Richard! Makes me ache for Bama. Mississippi is almost as good :)

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

You're welcome 13B.

Kevin McCann said...

Thanks for sharing the video!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

You're welcome Kevin. Welcome back to the blogosphere. Hope the book goes well for you.

Dick Stanley said...

All true. Some of the best restaurants in Mississippi are on back roads and look like a conglomeration of sheds run together. Or else like they're about to fall down.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Dick - sounds like my kinda place! My wife cringes when I tell her I've found a new, great place to eat. ;o)

Rob said...

I grew up in Oxford and am now attending Ole Miss and Taylor Grocery is my all time favorite restaurant. I literally ate there last weekend and it is even better than this video can do justice, although the video is great as well.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hey Rob. Thanks for commenting. It looks like a great place and one I'd really like to hang out and eat catfish. Some of those videos that Ole Miss is producing on Southern Culture are just wonderful! Take in all you can.