26 August 2010

Reminiscing

I was scanning some old family photos the other evening to send to my brother and thought I'd share a few of them with my readers - all 3 of you. The first photo is of my grandfather, Fred S. Busic, somewhere in North Africa during WWII. He's standing beside a "jeep" he built from spare parts he scavenged from around the base; including, if my memory serves me correctly, parts from an old Indian motorcycle. How neat is that? The second photo is of him getting ready to go for a spin in his creation. And the third, taken some time in the late '60's or early '70's, I scanned from an old Polaroid he snapped himself. It is his "man cave" - his desk (which I still use) where he listened to the radio, tinkered on old watches, made belt buckles, smoked pipes, rolled his own cigarettes, and dished out daily advice to yours truly. Note the Great Seal of the Confederacy hanging above his desk. It now hangs on my home office wall over the same desk. I still have a lot of those other items as well: the solid brass Virginia Metalcrafters Army cannon, the reference books/manuals, and the brass VM goblet/pencil holder. My brother has the collection of pipes. Here's a tribute I wrote to my grandfather at the Art of Manliness. (Click on photos to enlarge.)

6 comments:

13thBama said...

That headlight could certainly be off of an Indian. Cool contraption!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Yes, every man should have one. ;o)

Dick Stanley said...

Hardly ever see anyone with a pipe, anymore, at least not in public.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

He didn't smoke a pipe too often when he got older - just on occasion. He preferred non-filtered Raleighs and rolled his own.

Anonymous said...

Looking at your grandfathers jeep reminds me of that Johnny Cash song,"One Piece At A Time."

Tom Gann

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Tom - good comparison.