05 September 2010

Parents Do A Better Job At Educating Their Children


"During the past 30 years, homeschooling families have proven that parents can do a better job than the public school – socially and academically. Homeschooling works; everybody wins." ~ Gena Suarez, publisher of The Old Schoolhouse Magazine

And homeschooling continues its unabated, exponential growth making it the fastest growing form of education in the United States. Homeschooling rates have seen large increases among these demographics: 
  • Hispanic families (91 percent) 
  • Two-parent households (97 percent)
  • Children of college graduates (87 percent) 
  • Households making more that $75,000 per year (338 percent). 
"Homeschooling has been growing at 5-12 percent per annum over the past several years, a quicker clip than private schools are growing, while public schools are seeing their percentages decline."

This is the future of education in the United States. It is both a fascinating, and encouraging, cultural phenomenon.

 

9 comments:

msimons said...

I agree my only issue it the 30%-50% who seem to have under developed social skills. I have encounted less than 10% that were behind and that was due to lack of quality materials or parental oversite. I support people who choose this because we have became so cookie cutter focused in Public Schools. Not every child going to college and for us to push this agenda is a dis-service to all.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Mike - my experience has been quite the opposite. Of course, there are exceptions. I agree, not everyone is cut out for college. That is not a bad thing. We need skilled craftsman and tradesman in the US more now than ever.

Dick Stanley said...

Homeschooling seems worthwhile to me. The socializing can be got in other ways.

It is amusing what the homeowner quickly discovers, i.e. that the guy who comes to fix the broken appliance or aircon/heating system at a hefty price did not go to college but is happy to take the graduate's money.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Dick - the socialization criticism is a red herring. It was about the only thing the teachers union's could bring up, since the evidence proves quality and outcome are superior. Most homeschooled children with whom I'm familiar are much more mature than their peers. I've discussed this issue before in detail. See:

http://oldvirginiablog.blogspot.com/search?q=socialization

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Dick - sorry, check this link:

http://oldvirginiablog.blogspot.com/2009/07/is-homeschooling-child-abuse.html

msimons said...

Richard I no expert in Homeschooling I just sharing what I have observered in the classroom Now our Pastors wife is HSing one daughter this year to spend more time with her as she entering JR High. I think it is great! But I stand by my experiences when it comes to socialization; Being too mature vs your peers also causes problems in a Classroom of 20-30 students. I know enough to realize others have had differing experiences with Homeschooling. Finally I respect and support what ever choice parents make in the education of their children.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Mike:

I've never heard of anyone being "too mature." But if that causes a problem, the proper correction would be for the immature ones to grow up, not for the mature one to act like a child.

Life in the Valley said...

I've been homeschooling 24 years, having already raised one generation of children and now doing it again. I find the opposite to be true. For the most part, homeschooled children are very social and not peer dependent. Most of them can talk with adults and it's been brought to my attention 'can look you in the eye'.
Why would I want my children to be in an age segregated classroom? Where in the adult world does that ever happen?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

LV You're right, it doesn't. Dewey and Mann's methods had motives beyond producing mature and educated individuals.