08 October 2010

Metal Detecting Post #3


A while back, I announced a new hobby that would compliment my avocation in, and passion for, history - metal detecting & Civil War relic hunting. I've been "diggin'" a few times since, once at Virginia Beach and once in the mountains surrounding my home. I've found a few coins and trinkets, but nothing of great value or interest - yet. I am keeping a journal of everything I find . . . what, where, when, etc.

But I did wanted to update readers, as I promised to do, about a couple of things. First of all, I plan to go on a hunt tomorrow morning. This site is now a home in a small town here in the Shenandoah Valley. Passers-by would not notice anything unusual about this house - its rather unassuming and located in a modest neighborhood here in the Shenandoah Valley. One might notice that it appears to be one of the older homes on the street. They'd be right about that. It was the first home in the neighborhood. But what they would not know is that beneath the modern siding is the original log structure. The original structure was, as best we can tell, built in the 1840's. It was, however, originally built as a storage and packing house for an agricultural operation. (Yes, I'm intentionally being vague.) I'm familiar with the location as it belongs to an 80+ year-old gentleman I know. I'm eager to see what secrets the grounds of the old place holds. I'll let you know soon.

I've also been told about the former location of an old Confederate winter hut in central Virginia (on private property) that I hope to get permission to hunt. These huts are much sought after by those interested in WBTS history and typically hold lots of interesting items. I don't want to get my hopes up though as I've not received *permission to check it out. I'll keep you posted on that as well.

I'm finding this new hobby to be quite consuming and fascinating and am looking forward to several digs over the next 12 months.

*I strictly adhere to a common sense "Code of Ethics" when it comes to metal detecting.

1 comment:

The Warrior said...

Daaaang...wish I could come!