02 November 2010

Anti-Americanism In Academia


As I've watched attacks and criticisms of Confederate monuments increase over the last 20 years, I always predicted that this would eventually be directed at all military monuments. That is extremely troubling to me, but we are seeing more and more of that mindset making its way into the "mainstream." We see so many academic bloggers constantly blathering how those on the right have politicized history. The right has nothing on the left when it comes to the politicization of history. What's worse, the left is doing it with your tax dollars. Here's just the latest example:

Here's just a sampling of this disgusting, anti-American garbage:

The U.S. military and its veterans constitute an imperialistic, oppressive force which has created and perpetuated its own mythology of liberation and heroism, insisting on a “pristine collective memory” of the war. The authors/presenters equate this to Japan’s almost total amnesia and denial about its own war atrocities. One presenter specifically wrote about turning down a job offer when he realized that his office would overlook a fleet of U.S. Naval warships, “the symbol of American power and the symbol of our [Hawaiians'] dispossession…I decided they could not pay me enough”. Later he claimed that electric and oil companies were at the root of WWII, and that the U.S. developed a naval base at Pearl Harbor to ensure that its own coasts would not be attacked.
Here's how one professor has responded:

"In my thirty years as a professor in upper education, I have never witnessed nor participated in a more extremist, agenda-driven, revisionist conference, nearly devoid of rhetorical balance and historical context for the arguments presented."

More here.

(We should probably ignore this as just more anecdotal evidence.)


4 comments:

Michael Lynch said...

Ah, still smarting over that remark about anecdotal evidence. When I made that remark, I was referring to primary and secondary teachers, not higher education, and I believe I made that pretty clear at the time.

I heartily agree with you that academics in higher ed display a dramatic lack of political balance, and I'm glad a professor pointed out how polemical this crowd acted.

--ML

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hey Michael. Actually, quite a few others have made similar remarks. I wasn't thinking about anyone in particular. Thanks for stopping by.

Michael Lynch said...

Sorry about that; my mistake.

--ML

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

No need to apologize. I've done the same thing.