06 November 2010

Metal Detecting Post #7 - Looking For Locations

Shell fragment from the Piedmont Battlefield
(Augusta County, Virginia)
As readers of this blog know, I've become quite involved in metal detecting and relic hunting over the last few months. As a matter of fact, I am considering starting another blog which will focus exclusively on relic and treasure hunting. Until I do, you will likely continue to see more posts on the topic here. As I've already noted, it is a fascinating hobby and dovetails perfectly with my passion for history. The background research involved in scoping out potential sites is almost as interesting as the actual work in the field.

I originally owned a used Fisher 1266X, which is an excellent detector and have made some interesting finds with it. I also recently purchased a White's MXT Pro (along with 3 different types of search coils), which is also an excellent detector. I'm reading and studying everything I possibly can and I am now actively seeking additional locations to hunt and dig. I am particulary interested in Civil War related sites in the states of Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia. I'm also interested in colonial period sites, pre-1900 home sites, and old church sites. If any reader owns land (or has access to sites) which fits these descriptions, I'd love to talk to you. If you're interested, please contact me via email. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

2 comments:

Chaps said...

Local legend has 3 yankee soldiers buried in back of my church in Aldie. It was a hospital in summer of 1863. Probably too deep for metal detector though.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Chaps: I would very much be interested in chatting w/you about detecting the church yard. Of course, utmost care would be taken in leaving the grounds as we found them. Clean sod cuts and replaced, no holes, etc. If you're interested, let me know. I have a detector you could borrow.