08 December 2010

Metal Detecting Post #18


Pictured here is my latest Civil War related find while metal detecting near a Shenandoah Valley battlefield. It is a stirrup strap buckle from a CW era saddle. I was also pleased to find out this week that I've been selected to participate in the very popular "Diggin' in Virginia" WBTS relic hunt. "Diggin' In Virginia (DIV) is an invitational hunt dedicated to the ideals of friendship, fun, and the proper recovery/identification of historical artifacts." I actually got invited to both spring 2011 digs. I'll most likely only attend one of them though. I'm looking very forward to this event.

Some interesting posts coming up . . . hopefully some more photos and/or videos of relic hunts and finds - assuming the weather will cooperate. Also, I plan to post a video that I've been wanting to do for some time now - a tour of my home office. Several readers have expressed interest in this and a desire to see my "command post" and "nerve center" from where I blog and write. I plan to put this together over the next week or two and post it on Christmas Eve. The video will likely be posted in several "episodes" as YouTube has, I believe, a 10 minute limit per upload. I'll be doing this as much for my children as readers of this blog and I will be discussing various items in my office and their connection to my family history and our "sense of place." I think readers here will find it interesting.

6 comments:

The Warrior said...

Congrats, I'm jealous!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

You can get started for as little as $250.

The Warrior said...

But if one does not live in the region.... *sigh*

Some day, I at least have to TRY it...add it to my lengthy bucket list!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Practically anywhere in the United States is a good place to hunt.

The Warrior said...

For what? Not all of it will be CW relics then....

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Oh my, all kinds of things. Old colonial sites often yield old coins, relics, etc. Even 20th century sites (the older ones) will give up older silver coins. Its all part of history and great fun!