27 January 2011

Elitist Prejudice Against The South


I stumbled across quite an interesting piece from the UK's Guardian recently.

Some choice excerpts . . .

I'm tired of elitist US liberals who ridicule southerners and then profess their love for Nina Simone and crawfish etouffee .
And . . .

I am tired of apologising. I apologised for being Muslim, post-9/11 and more recently for my Pakistani origins. Now, I apologise for being a southerner too. 

And . . . 

Oddly, the same people who disparage us also have love affairs with our culture. They ridicule us and then profess their love for Nina Simone, Austin, Johnny Cash or Louisiana's crawfish etouffee dish when it's trendy. This brings me to my favourite specimens: cocktail party progressives. You know the type – can't converse without referencing the New Yorker. Pretentious, self-congratulatory liberals who applaud their own humanity while mocking the south. Curiously, they feign knowledge of Hank Williams when fashionable, but their intellectual elitism . . . 

The attitude so eloquently exposed by the author is one which I've addressed numerous times before. You can read the rest of the piece here.

1 comment:

13thBama said...

I am ashamed to say that I think there are southerners who are guilty of the same thing. Liberal southerners...but southern just the same. They claim southern heritage but then bash the common man who's sweat built that heritage.