28 March 2011

Bullies In Academia

Here’s the background: In one of the most astonishing races in the 2010 election, renowned scientist Arthur Robinson took on 12-term progressive incumbent Peter DeFazio for his congressional seat in Oregon’s District 4. DeFazio won the 2008 election with 82% of the vote. When the polls showed Robinson coming very close to winning, DeFazio unleashed a last-minute smear campaign.
That much is not unexpected. Americans have gotten used to vicious lies by politicians. Character assassination seems to be protected political speech.

But on November 4, after the election results were known, another campaign took off: against the three younger Robinson children, who are working toward their Ph.D. degrees in nuclear engineering at Oregon State University (OSU). The stellar academic records of all six home-schooled Robinsons (a Ph.D. in chemistry from Caltech, two veterinary medicine doctorates from Iowa State, and undergraduate degrees in chemistry or mathematics for the younger Robinsons) were an embarrassment for DeFazio, who is strongly supported by public education unions. (Read the rest here.)

I've noted before how elitists in academia don't like homeschooling. They see it as a threat - in more ways than one. This post is just further evidence of the continued politicization of academia in America. I can almost guarantee that not one of the many academics who read this blog (yes, there are quite a few), will speak up and condemn this. This has to be for one of two reasons: they're complicit or they're afraid of being on the receiving end of retribution themselves. I hope I will be proven wrong. Come on, do the right thing and restore some of my faith in my fellow man.

9 comments:

Michael Lynch said...

Okay, I'll condemn it. I'll also condemn all the organized left-wing violence that you referred to in a post a few days ago.

But I do want to ask one question. Why do you dislike baby seals so much? I think they're cute.

--ML

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Michael - I love baby seals. I prefer them fried with a dash of A1.

Michael Lynch said...

Har! Good one.

--ML

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

How do you prefer yours cooked?

Michael Lynch said...

A little pink on the inside. With a good molasses-based BBQ sauce, preferably one made well to the south of the Mason-Dixon line.

--ML

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Now you're talking Michael.

Brock Townsend said...

Here's my post on it last month. We use his curriculum.
http://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2011/03/osu-expel-dr-robinsons-three-exemplary.html

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Ok - I think we've had sufficient time for a response. Time to cue the crickets. Quite revealing, isn't it?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks Brock.