01 March 2011

Metal Detecting Post #20

I recently recovered these 2 relics near a Confederate winter camp here in the Shenandoah Valley.

Still working on a positive ID of the bullet.


John Cummings said...

The bullet looks like a .52 Spencer. Is the base flat and what is the diameter?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hello John. Thanks for the comment. That was my first thought. I measured w/a pair of calipers and its right at .39.

Is it possible its modern?

Scott said...

Richard, that is a cool find. Modern? Are there people still shooting Minie balls down in the Shenandoah?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Scott - I wouldn't be surprised. ;o)

Though I'm far from being an expert on bullets, I thought for sure it was Civil War when I dug it. But someone on another forum suggested that the "crimp marks" in the cannelure could indicate modern . . . ?