09 April 2011

Metal Detecting Post #28 - Eagle Button


I wanted to start posting some of my finds and recoveries from my recent adventure at the Diggin' in Virginia XVII which took place on private property (over 4000 acres) near Brandy Station, Culpeper, Virginia. Pictured first is the first item I dug on the 2nd day of the hunt at about 7:45 AM, March 31st, 2011. I had just turned my metal detector on about 10 minutes prior to this discovery. This is a Federal general service button - eagle with shield. This button depicts eagle facing right with a patriotic shield, generally intended for enlisted troops and these were widely used by both sides including state units. The second picture is of a non-dug eagle button. Mine was in much worse shape that what you see here. I soaked it in a solution of 50/50 lemon juice and water for ten minute intervals, gently brushing it with a soft tooth brush in between soakings. This process finally brought out the gold gilt you see. It's actually much shinier than shown here, my camera just could not do it justice. Next up, a New York militia button. (You may click on images to enlarge for greater detail.)

2 comments:

The Warrior said...

I don't know much about relic hunting so don't know if it would be of use, but are you familiar with the ancient coin cleaning hobby? Maybe their techniques might help....

So do you have a book/site to recommend for relic cleaning? I do have some that could use some cleaning, lots I've purchased on eBay and such....

Spencer

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

I would just google the subject Spencer. There's tons of info on cleaning items. Lemon juice is also good on coins, but be sure and dilute it. Also, valuable coins should NOT be cleaned at all, unless by a professional. Cleaning a collectible coin will often actually hurt the value.