06 April 2011

Nat'l Geographic - Edwin Stanton Tortured Prisoners

I recently received an email from a National Geographic publicist asking me to take a look at some of their Sesquicentennial related projects (things are really heating up on that front) - anyway, I'm making my way through some of these film clips and thought this would be of interest, given the release of the new Robert Redford film, which I can't wait to see. The NG documentary, from which this clip is taken, is based in part on the diary of one the conspirators' prison guards. Interesting that NG accuses Edwin Stanton of torture.

5 comments:

Douglas Hill said...

He is still in the torture business- I suffer every time I see his image.

Perhaps fifteen years ago in Denver, I was stunned to see an original document for sale in Stanton's handwriting, where he was selecting members of the military tribunal to try the "Lincoln conspirators", civilians, a highly irregular and unconstitutional practice. If I recall correctly the document was for sale for around $15,000.

Edwin M. Stanton, a man to be abhorred to this very day.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Yes, emotions and vengeance ruled the day. I've not read any reviews, but from the clips and the trailer I've seen, it appears the film is not kind to the prosecution.

Douglas Hill said...

We can issue pardons to the long-deceased, can we also issue legal indictments?

I reckon not, if Linkum is any kind of example; untouchable in the American conscience.

Michael R. Bradley said...

Here in Tennessee the publicist for The Conspirator arranged an invitation-only advance showing of the movie for the SCV-UDC. I liked the film. Mary is presented as a noble woman who suffers a martyrs fate for her beliefs while Stanton is presented as the vengeful little man he was.

I can also tell you that those who got their knickers in a twist over Gods and Generals will need to take their blood pressure medicine with them if they go to see this film.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Michael - That is quite interesting.

"Mary is presented as a noble woman who suffers a martyrs fate for her beliefs while Stanton is presented as the vengeful little man he was."

That's the impression I get from the trailer and clips I've seen. Twisted knickers is a common ailment among the anointed.

Thanks for the comment Professor.