27 June 2011

Follow Up To Rural Is Better For The Brain


The great divide . . .


". . . Louv argues that the Baby Boomer generation, those born between 1946 and 1964, “may constitute the last generation of Americans to share an intimate, familial attachment to land and water.” Even if Baby Boomers didn’t grow up on a ranch or a farm themselves, they often had a grandparent who had a piece of land, a place that could go visit and get a taste of the wild.

The Art of Manliness recently posted a piece that dovetails quite nicely with my recent link to some research which confirms what most know instinctively - living in the country, or rural areas, is much better for your health - both physical and mental. It also connects to what I've written before about "a sense of place" (which some academics mocked - probably because they don't understand the concept). These facts have all kinds of implications and, as I already noted, explain a whole lot of American society's ills, as well as how our Nation has divided, historically, along the rural/urban line. As part of the baby-boomer generation, I found the article quite interesting and have, in recent days, contemplated much of what the article brings to light. The piece opens all kinds of avenues for further discussion: history, politics, health, faith, etc. I'll likely have more to say about all this later. Read the piece here


2 comments:

13thBama said...

It is one of the reasons I live in the Shenandoah Valley but work in D.C.

Once I cross the mountain, I feel like I am in a whole different world. Less stressful and fewer people. I was shocked a few weeks ago, riding through upstate New York and seeing how less populated it is. Except for the deep snow in the winter, I could live there.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Yes, upstate NY is quite beautiful. I kinda feel the same way about western PA. I also love W. VA - our estranged sister.