22 June 2011

Grandpa Campout 2011

(Click to enlarge)
Last Friday night and Saturday, my wife and I hosted our annual "Grandpa Campout." Each year we have as many of our grandchildren as can attend, stay at our home. This is typically done around Father's Day. We have a bonfire, cookout, homemade ice-cream (this year with our own homegrown, freshly-picked raspberries), enjoy games (this year shooting each other with bow and arrows), fireworks, and then camp out on our porch after watching a movie under the stars. I try to pick one that teaches some positive values. This year, we all watched the old Disney version of Swiss Family Robinson. It was a great and memory making time! This is a photo of me, along with 10 of my 15 grandchildren. I also regaled them all with stories of Indians and arrowheads, David and Goliath, and Yankees and Rebels - as much to my enjoyment as theirs. I suppose, after telling and hearing stories like that, a group of academics will want to psycho-analyze all of us. ;o)

8 comments:

Michael Aubrecht said...

A great looking family and a great time for sure.

Jubilo said...

Dear Old Dom.,
Good for you and them! Soon you'll be like Grandpaw on the Waltons!!!! (Exepting the recipe!).

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks Jub - the Waltons place is just "over the hump" (the Blue Ridge) from my place - about 20 miles as the crow flies.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks Michael. Blessed for sure.

13thBama said...

Richard,

My comment disappeared with the first image, I guess.

Looks like a great bunch of kids. I doubt they realize that you get as much of a kick out of it as they do, if not more.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hey 13B - yes, I had to delete that whole post. It was causing a glitch for some reason. Anyway, thanks for the comment. Yes, they are a great bunch; though I'm just a tad partial. ;o)

Yes, I really enjoy it, though by Saturday morning, I've had enough enjoyment to last until next year.

Lindsay said...

Wow, what a great experience for your grandkids! They will treasure those memories for sure...

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

They all love it and look forward to it each year. They're trying to talk me into an additional after-summer edition. I don't think so. ;o)