23 June 2011

Rural Is Better For The Brain


Wow. This explains a whole lot of things.

Photo by Richard G. Williams, Jr.

Scientists have confirmed what every urbanite has long suspected – life in the city is more stressful. Researchers have shown that the parts of the brain dealing with stress and emotion are affected by living among the crowds. The findings help shed light on why those who are born and raised in urban areas are more likely to suffer from anxiety, depression and schizophrenia than those brought up in the countryside.

More here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that my friend! I copied and posted on Facebook.

Stephen Clay McGehee said...

The culture of The South has always been more rural and closer to the soil than Northern culture. The book you linked to, "I'll Take My Stand", does an excellent job of describing the Southern Agrarian movement, and should be considered required reading for any who wants to better understand Southern culture. One of the "Twelve Southerners" who wrote that book, Stark Young, was a cousin of mine.

Stephen Clay McGehee
SouthernAgrarian.com

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Stephen - I agree, though I love the writings of New England Yankee Eric Sloane, as well as those of Russell Kirk; who was from Michigan I believe.

Stephen Clay McGehee said...

I had forgotten about Eric Sloane. I had a book by him, but it has disappeared - probably loaned and forgotten. I think it was about old barns, if I recall correctly. I'll have to start looking for it on the bookshelves of friends and family.

I'm not familiar with Russell Kirk, but I'll have to look for his writing now.

Thanks!