12 September 2011

Metal Detecting Post #46 - Another River Adventure!


This is another great video about freshwater relic hunting with metal detectors. After corresponding with Beau Ouimette (who "stars" in this production), I also recently purchased one of the detectors featured in this video - the Garrett AT Pro. It is what Doug Hill and I used in our recent river adventure and hunt. This is a long video, but quite interesting in my opinion:

AT Gold river hunt with Beau and Dan in Civil War campaign area. Recovery of Spanish real, Confederate Gardner and Enfield bullets, artillery pieces, musket barrel, and more.

6 comments:

13thBama said...

Could that piece of pig iron have come from Columbia Furnace?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

13B - I believe I heard him mention that it did come from Columbia furnace . . . ???

13thBama said...

He mentioned that it was marked Columbia (which you can see) but I don't believe he hinted that it was in the area of Columbia furnace. It seems to be a secret as to where the detecting was done.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

No, most relic hunters tend to keep the exact location of their hunts a mystery. Others will follow you if you don't. Also, when on private property, privacy can be an issue, not always, each situation is different.

13thBama said...

The valley furnaces are very interesting. I have a book about the trails on Little North Mountain (I think that is the name) and it discusses remnants of the furnace industry that can still be seen today (circles of charcoal being one). I will have to swing by Columbia, as the original building foundations are still in place, from what I've read.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

13B - yes, they are. There's an old one behind my home in the Blue Ridge foothills. There's another - Mount Torry Furnace not too far from my home that used by the Confederates during the war. It's ruins sit right along the road on the way to Sherando Lake.