12 October 2011

My Peer Reviewed Essay On Civil War Chaplains


Though I generally write for non-academic audiences, I have written a piece or two for scholarly journals. (See the Spring 2009 issue of Houston Baptist University's The City) Recently, *I was afforded the opportunity and privilege of contributing an essay on Civil War chaplains to the Essential Civil War Curriculum

The Essential Civil War Curriculum is a Sesquicentennial project Virginia Center for Civil War Studies at Virginia Tech. It is sponsored by two eminent Civil War scholars and authors, Dr. James I. (Bud) Robertson and Professor William C. (Jack) Davis both Professors at Virigina Tech. The Executive Director and Editor of the website is Mr. J.L.D. (Laurie) Woodruff of Toronto Ontario. The site content is subject to rigorous quality control with all essays and resources peer reviewed by a member of our Board of Historians who are today's foremost Civil War scholars.
My essay was recently added to the topics at ECWC. The piece is titled: A Great Deal of Good: The Work and Impact of Chaplains During the American Civil War

I begin the essay with a quote from my great-great grandfather, John Meredith Crutchfield. The quote was taken from a letter written to my great-great grandmother, Alcinda Douglas Crutchfield:

“There is a protracted meeting going on in camp. We have preaching in the forenoon and prayer meeting in the evening . . . and it is my opinion it will do us a great deal of good.” ~ Private John Meredith Crutchfield, Co. I, 60th Regiment, Virginia Infantry, Princeton, Mercer County, VA, 26 April 1863

You can read the complete essay by going to ECWC's website and clicking on "C." You'll see the link there. There are other excellent essays which one can read there as well. 

*(No, this does not make me a "professional" historian. I consider myself simply a writer who focuses on Virginia history and the War Between the States.)

4 comments:

Michael Aubrecht said...

An excellent piece Richard. Very well-written and I really appreciate the Footnote information that you included. I may take a stab at one of these topics myself. It looks to be a great project.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks Michael.

Michael R. Bradley said...

Well done! I also recommend "Onward Southern Soldiers" by Traci and Gordon Belt. The book is published by The History Press and deals with the Army of Tennessee.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks Michael. Good to hear from you. I'm not familiar with that one but will add it to my ever-growing list.