04 November 2011

A Republic, Not A Democracy

Hey, can I borrow some file space for my anecdotal evidence of leftist propaganda being pushed in the classroom with taxpayer dollars? The holidays are coming up - time for some fruitcake.

The teachers then ask the students, "What are your ideas for making our class more democratic?"
A suggested list of acceptable answers includes:
  • Decide what we will learn in class and make curricula decisions.
  • Create the classroom rules and consequences as a group.
  • Have a student council in the class to create and enforce rules.
  • Students decide the menu for school lunch.
  • Have students take turns teaching the class.
That is for grades 4-7. Oh yes, that should work out well. Let me see, I'm in the 6th grade and I am made the above offer. What will we learn? The stats for all NFL players and ACC basketball teams. Classroom rules? Rule number 1 - the teacher has to leave. Rule enforcement? Lock the door. Lunch menu? That's easy, hot dogs w/chili, mustard, onions and sweet relish and Reese's Cups for dessert. Dr. Pepper for our beverage - on crushed ice in a frosted mug. Students teaching class? Then they're no longer students. Class dismissed. Close the school and save tons of money. Yipeee!!!

The above suggestions for making a class more democratic comes from a public school on the left coast. But we know this kind of garbage is rampant. Just check my over-flowing anecdotal file closet if you don't believe me. This nut job information comes from some left-wing, nut job organization promoting Occupy Wall Street communism (disguised as "democracy") and anarchy in the classroom. 

As the writer at the American Thinker reminds us:

The Occupy movement illustrates why the founders of the United States crafted a republic, and not a democracy.  As John Adams stated, "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself.  There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide."
But, of course, the pseudo-historians in the blogosphere are busy with other things. Now, if this was the Tea Party, well then, that would be a totally different story. Frauds. More here.


6 comments:

Michael Lynch said...

I'll probably regret saying this--and no doubt I'll be hearing a lot about my having said it, as it will probably be referenced in OVB posts several years hence--but speaking as a conservative, I would have absolutely no problem if my child was being introduced to the concepts of democracy or even (gasp!) disparities in wealth.

If the teacher actually put any of their suggestions into long-term practice, I might get worried. But having kids think about it, in a vicarious way? I'm not losing any sleep over it. (And when I sleep, I often do so in a t-shirt I bought at Ronald Reagan's birthplace. I'm not making that up.)

I'm still waiting to find out he identity of these characters who told you that you wouldn't be able to find numerous examples of leftism in American classrooms. Some of us have criticized the use of anecdotal news bites as a means of denouncing the entire educational system, but I don't recall any history bloggers denying that this sort of thing happens. Who are you trying to argue with?

--ML

13thBama said...

The silence of your detractors speaks volumes, does it not?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

"I would have absolutely no problem if my child was being introduced to the concepts of democracy or even (gasp!) disparities in wealth."

Neither do I. But we're not talking about introductions to these things, we're talking about advocacy and politicization.

"Who are you trying to argue with?"

Anyone who's up for the fight. ;o)

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Fear.

Michael Lynch said...

I'm not trying to "fight." I'm honestly trying to figure out what point you're trying to make. Is it that there are individuals and organizations out there who would like to politicize the classroom? Because I think most people know that it happens.

Actually, in this particular case, what we're dealing with isn't even politics in the classroom--it's a case of a political group trying to make it happen. The literature was distributed to teachers by a political group. How many teachers are actually using it?

--ML

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Michael - I used the term fight in a general way: "to contend."

"Is it that there are individuals and organizations out there who would like to politicize the classroom?" Read my most recent post.

"How many teachers are actually using it?" That's a good question. I don't know. I'd like to think the answer is zero, but I'm not that optimistic.