02 January 2012

Eagle Scout Discovers Confederate Cemetery In VA

This story shows there is still so much history surrounding the Civil War that has yet to be uncovered. As a relic hunter, I routinely see this up close as I metal detect throughout the Shenandoah Valley and other parts of Virginia and the South. It is quite amazing.

The private owner who sold the land to the developer had farmed for decades around the unmarked cemetery, indicating he knew its historic value. But it was overgrown and inaccessible. So when Dane Smith of nearby Nokesville called up looking for an Eagle Scout project, park officials recommended clearing the cemetery.

Complete story here.

Upcoming post - another academic historian excuses his support for Obama by blaming the Confederacy. This is becoming quite comical. For heaven's sake, just admit you made a really stupid mistake and move on.

11 comments:

msimons said...

Good Job by these Eagle Scouts. It is amazing what we are still finding 150 years after the War.

13thBama said...

Roll Tide! It is nice to see that those fellows are being looked after. I will have to take a trip there soon and photograph it.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hey Mike - Happy New Year to you.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hey 13B. I thought about you when I read this story. By all means, send me some pics if you get the chance and I'll try to post them.

15th Georgia said...

Very proud of the young man and the volunteers for bringing dignity back to the final resting place of these Alabama boys that died so far away from home. It would be great to see my home state put up a monument or a marker to recognize the sacrifice made by these brave men. I hope that the same is done for the Mississippi soldiers.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Me too 15G.

Mrs. Horne said...

What an amazing way to earn your Eagle Scout - this young man is doing such a noble thing!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Yes, I thought it was really neat. The Boy Scouts is a wonderful organization. I wish I had been involved as a boy.

Lindsay said...

I plan on getting my two sons involved, I have seen nothing but good work from them.

15th Georgia said...

Dear Sir:
Here is an update to the story in case you want to post it:
http://blog.al.com/sweethome/2012/01/5_more_alabama_names_added_to.html

They are discovering the names of the soldiers buried there.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Good for you Lindsay.

Thanks 15G