12 January 2012

Influencing The Generations


(Filed under: Tooting My Own Horn) When involved in teaching and educating others, I always wonders how much impact I'm having - if any; or, if anyone's even paying attention. Then I get a couple of private messages just this past week that gave me some encouragement. The first one was from a young man who I used to teach in Sunday school. He's now married and raising a family. Here's what he wrote:

I appreciate the influence you've been on my life. I'll never forget the Sunday School lessons on the book of Proverbs, and how you somehow managed to apply each verse to a young mans life. God Bless you . . . it wasn't just Bible lessons you drove into some of us . . . it was integrity. All of the stories of the men who led the Confederacy, too . . . that "hand in hand" with the Proverbs, I'll never forget it. It helps me to this day.
And then someone much older recently wrote, in part:

My Dear Sir:

I happened upon your Old Virginia Blog a few nights ago and have spent several happy hours, off and on, reading and enjoying it.  Thank you for all your work.

I am a born Northerner (New York) who came South to college (W&L), was thoroughly charmed, and never left.  I never read much American History, but decided to use the 150th anniversary of Lincoln's War to educate myself, so I've been reading as many of the classic history books as time permits.  I'm still at the causes of the War, but will get to the War and its Aftermath eventually (especially looking forward to Shelby Foote and Freeman's newly reissued biography of Lee).

Have a Happy Lee-Jackson Day!

That's enough fuel to keep me going a bit longer. 

8 comments:

13thBama said...

Richard,

You deserve many more accolades for what you have done and are still doing. Thanks for being a light in the darkness.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thank you 13B - that's very kind of you.

Michael Aubrecht said...

Although our politics often differ and we sometimes argue, I don't know what I'd do without the Old VA Blog. Keep it up my friend. It matters to folks.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thank you Michael.

Michael Aubrecht said...

I even put your link back. ;)

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Just be patient. I'm sure I'll post something sooner or later that will make you regret that. ;o)

Chistian Foockle said...

I would love to know what those classical Civil War books are.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Christian - check out My Library link in the left hand column. Beyond that, just about anything published below the Mason-Dixon before Eisenhower was President.