14 January 2012

"Shut Your Mouth, War Is Hell"


“I have sat back and assessed the incident with the video of our Marines urinating on Taliban corpses. I do not recall any self-righteous indignation when our Delta snipers Shugart and Gordon had their bodies dragged through Mogadishu. Neither do I recall media outrage and condemnation of our Blackwater security contractors being killed, their bodies burned, and hung from a bridge in Fallujah.


“All these over-emotional pundits and armchair quarterbacks need to chill. Does anyone remember the two Soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division who were beheaded and gutted in Iraq?


“The Marines were wrong. Give them a maximum punishment under field grade level Article 15 (non-judicial punishment), place a General Officer level letter of reprimand in their personnel file, and have them in full dress uniform stand before their Battalion, each personally apologize to God, Country, and Corps videotaped and conclude by singing the full US Marine Corps Hymn without a teleprompter.


“As for everyone else, unless you have been shot at by the Taliban, shut your mouth, war is hell.” ~ Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.), and former Army lieutenant colonel

My sentiments precisely. Congressman West should be President.

8 comments:

Brock Townsend said...

Congressman West should be President.

Paul P & West VP! As far as this "incident" the favorite words of my old SGT come to mind:

"Who gives a rat's ass?"

Lindsay said...

Congressman West is right on the mark...he has my vote.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Brock - you have a military background, not me. Though I agree the incident is way overblown, it's not one I would condone either. I think West's approach is the proper and balanced one.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Lindsay - West is very much a common sense, no nonsense kind of a man. The type that would make a great leader now. Secy of Defense maybe?

Lindsay said...

Sounds like just the type of man we need...I am hopeful that before long people will start voting based on things like common sense versus money and popularity.

Brock Townsend said...

Sounds like one of my heroes.

A Veteran's Day re-post from 2010 SFC Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver
http://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/search?q=mad+dog

"No one else could engage the machinegun that trapped Shriver's men -- it was up to Mad Dog. Skittish Yards looked to Shriver and his half-grin restored a sense of confidence. Then they were on their feet, charging -- Shriver was his old self, running to the sound of guns, a True Believer Yard on either side, all of them dashing through the flying bullets, into the treeline, into the very guts of Mad Dog's great nemesis, COSVN. And Mad Dog Shriver was never seen again."

His last mission is well documented on the internet, so I will not be redundant, but most of the NCO’s in SF prefer to remember him as the leader, who, with NVA on all sides, refused extraction, saying, “No, No, I’ve got em right where I want em, surrounded from the inside.“

Jubilo said...

Dear Old Dom.,
Would General Lee have approved of this action? We know he would not have. The Marine Corps Hymn states" to keep our honor clean." Do it. When we act like barbarians we become the enemy.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Dear Dave - no, he would not. Oddly enough, that is actually the first thought that came to my mind. But I think you're missing West's point. He is (as am I), all for holding them accountable for their actions according to military regulations. He cites it specifically. Did you miss that? But there needs to be a sense of balance regarding the outrage. Urinating on a corpse hardly compares with gutting one, dragging it through the streets or hanging it from a bridge.

Give me a break.