14 February 2012

Even More Reasons To Homeschool Your Child

Update: Here's some more on this story: "The mother says the girl was so intimidated by the inspection process that she was too scared to eat all of her homemade lunch. The girl ate only the chicken nuggets provided to her by the school, so she still didn’t eat a vegetable." More here

I believe a lawsuit is in order. This could also constitute a "taking", thus larceny charges against the individual who took the little girl's lunch. Taking a lunch from a four year old child - tsk, tsk, tsk. Y'all might wanna lawyer up. So now we've come to a point in America where the Federal government is dictating what our children can and cannot eat for lunch. How did we get here?

A preschooler at West Hoke Elementary School ate three chicken nuggets for lunch Jan. 30 because a state employee told her the lunch her mother packed was not nutritious. The girl’s turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, according to the interpretation of the agent who was inspecting all lunch boxes in her More at Four classroom that day.
Story here. So we now have government "agents" inspecting lunch boxes? Good Lord Almighty, what have we become? What if the child refuses? Will they handcuff her and charge her criminally? Maybe they'll pepper spray her in the face, or taser her. After all, gotta keep our schools safe, right? Maybe they'll send send her to "food sensitivity" classes. What if the kid ate the lunch her Mama sent her anyway, would they pump her stomach? What if a kid brings a box of gummy worms to school and starts passing them out . . . will government agents require a lockdown and call in a swat team? Progressive statistism on display. All brought to you by the "experts" on education. Velcome to zee brave new vurld, comrades.

I think government "agents" should spend more time "inspecting" the background of their "teachers" than they spend "inspecting" lunch boxes. I'm very thankful all of my grandchildren are being homeschooled.


7 comments:

Brock Townsend said...

Should be a parody.

13thBama said...

Someone should find out how "food agents" are being paid. If the school board is wasting money to pay someone for that kind of work, maybe the board needs to be changed. Just a thought.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

I gotta better idea. Charge the "food agent" w/child abuse for feeding her chicken "nuggets."

Lindsay said...

This is unbelievable (but completely believable.) I don't know how the lunch didn't meet the guidelines since the USDA even considered a ketchup packet a vegetable serving.

My, my...you let someone not let my kids eat what I pack them.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Lindsay - it is quite incredible, isn't it? "Food agents"???!!! Wow.

Lindsay said...

Interestingly enough though, this made me think a little about something. We have at our school a snack line that serves the usual junk. Of course this line is not monitored by anyone (except teachers) and students are therefore encouraged to purchase only junk for lunch.

A long while ago I started calling parents when their kids were making poor choices like eating only items from this line in hopes that they will help change their child's eating habits.

While this was done with the best intentions from a mother who cares what goes into her own children's mouths, am I overstepping my boundaries too? And I essentially committing the same sort of offense that this teacher did by not supporting a parent's decision? Of course I am not taking anyone's lunch away so it is slightly different but I am poking my nose in something that may or may not be my business.

Thoughts?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

"am I overstepping my boundaries too?"

I don't think so - not at all. You are a teacher employed by the local school district and answerable to the local district. I think that is difference number one. I believe this "agent" was not a local district employee. (Not that that would justify the actions.)

Secondly, I think what you did is quite appropriate. That's quite a bit different than questioning what a parent has already knowingly approved, taking it from the child and, thus, causing the child to doubt her mother's choices. All you are doing is informing a parent of something they might not be aware and which could be unhealthy for their child. Again, a big difference.