27 February 2012

Metal Detecting Post #62 - Honorable Mention!

Well, I made the Honorable Mention "award" on the TreasureNet forum for an experience I had last week. Below is the post that garnered the mention:

Went to a new site yesterday in central Virginia that was allegedly used as a hospital for Confederate soldiers. Pulled some clad out of the ground, but nothing else . . . until my granddaughters who happened to be visiting next door showed up! That made it all worthwhile. Then, my daughter-in-law asked me if I'd mind driving about 5 miles to where her aunt lived and search for a diamond engagement ring that her aunt lost about 4 years ago. A sad story is connected to the losing of the ring. The aunt's daughter had been in a terrible accident - struck by a drunk driver. She almost died. She lived, but she is disabled for life and bound to a wheelchair. She's doing much better now, thank the Lord. However, at the time the ring was lost, her Mama had lost a lot of weight due to the stress and worry over the accident. So while she was in her front yard one day, the ring slipped off her finger. So I loaded up my gear and drove over. My granddaughters tagged along to "help."  laughing7

The first signal was a dud - something very deep and large, so I knew it wasn't worth digging. I took about 6 more steps and my MXT Pro, running in the Coin and Jewelry mode with presets, rang out loud and clear with a 0-4 VDI. Sure enough, 2 inches down was the ring. I hadn't been swinging the detector more than 2 minutes! The smile on Mom's face, along with her daughter's "thank you" was payment enough. Below is a photo of me with my other 2 "finds" for the day.


5 comments:

13thBama said...

Nice work!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks Barry. It was so gratifying to be able to find the ring for that lady. She was so happy.

Brock Townsend said...

Good job!

Lindsay said...

Wow, what a story! Thanks for sharing...I am sure you were her hero that day :)

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Yes, I was. I just tipped my hat, said "You're welcome ma'am", slung my detector over my shoulder, and swaggered off into the sunset.

;o)