13 June 2012

I Could Be Wrong, But . . .

I think I'll need to update this from time to time with relevant pieces of news. Taken alone, they mean little, but taken as a whole, something ominous for the left could be shaping up for this election cycle. I think we got a taste of it in 2010. 2012 could be a historic landslide. Again, I could be way off and this is just my wishful thinking but then again . . .

Update #2: From a Washington Post op-ed piece:

I expect it will become clear to the Obama campaign that Florida, North Carolina and Virginia are lost and not worth the fight. More here.
As I said in the original post below . . .

Obama will lose both Virginia and North Carolina by more than 10 points. The notion that either state can now be considered "purple" is laughable. The number of "experts" in academia, government, and the media which will see (and are seeing) their credibility ruined will be talked about for years to come.

Update #1:

"Republican super PACs and other outside groups shaped by a loose network of prominent conservatives – including Karl Rove, the Koch brothers and Tom Donohue of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce – plan to spend roughly $1 billion on November’s elections for the White House and control of Congress . . . the $1 billion total surpasses the $750 million that Barack Obama, one of the most prolific fundraisers ever, collected for his 2008 campaign."

Story here.

The other side is not seeing the same type of enthusiasm. Seems like "Hope & Change" has turned to "Nope & No Change":

"MoveOn, a giant in the progressive political world and an early endorser of Barack Obama in 2008, warns that it might have to 'pull the plug' on key campaigns to help Obama and Senate Democrats if its 5 million members don’t pony up with at least $5."

Story here.

**End of update**

**I'm also working on a post about a number of historians who publicly endorsed Barack Obama. I want to compare their analysis in 2008 with the reality of 2012. (Don't bother to scrub your blogs - too late for that.)


(Original date of the following post: 27 May 2012):

I'm going to go out on a limb and make an election year *prediction:

Barack Obama is going to lose in a landslide, perhaps by as much as 10 points - 55 to 45.

Obama will lose both Virginia and North Carolina by more than 10 points. The notion that either state can now be considered "purple" is laughable. The number of "experts" in academia, government, and the media which will see (and are seeing) their credibility ruined will be talked about for years to come.

Since 2008, I've been working, on and off, on a post which will use this endorsement as a springboard in which to make some observations. Stay tuned.

*Obviously, unforeseen events could dramatically change the political landscape. But barring that, I believe Barack Obama is headed back to private life.

7 comments:

Brock Townsend said...

I got a tickle out the the historians link the first time I saw it.:)

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Yes, its the gift that keeps on giving.

Lindsay said...

Let's all pray to God that your predictions are right. I would love to see that happen and for someone to get this country back on the right track. I fear however, that Romney is not the man for the job either.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hey Lindsay. Yes, I'm a bit skeptical of Romney as well. However, I think the mood of the country, as well as a conservative Congress, will pull him in the right direction. We shall see.

Anonymous said...

Care to put your money where you're mouth is?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

I don't gamble Anon. But thank you for the offer nonetheless. But I'm curious, how would I wager with someone anonymously?

Thomas said...

AWOL...Doris Kearns Goodwin. Who let her off the plantation?