10 May 2012

Upcoming Post - Civil War Magazines - What I Like (And Don't)


"Archaeology is the search for fact. Not truth. If it's truth you're interested in, Doctor Tyree's Philosophy class is right down the hall." ~ Indiana Jones

When I subscribe to magazines which focus on Civil War history, I really don't want to read "preachy" styled articles emphasizing a morality play regarding the Civil War: "North good, South bad" and "get your mind right you nasty neo-Confederate", blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Most of these faddish pieces are more about the author and who he/she is trying to impress (or perhaps rid themselves of their own peer-induced guilt), than they are about anything else. When I read some of these articles and magazines, I often feel like I'm being lectured to by a Sunday school teacher - and a very misinformed one at that. Quite frankly, I'm sick of it and I'm voting with my wallet. 

Case(s) in point . . .  

This will be uploaded as a 2 part post. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

13thBama said...

Agreed. I stopped buying them years ago.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

13B - there's actually a couple I can recommend. But the others, while still having some decent pieces now and then, are more or less mouthpieces for the same crowd that loves to disparage the Confederate heritage folks while, at the same time, most of their advertising is largely aimed at the Confederate heritage folks. Very hypocritical. They don't care for their perspective, but they love their money. It makes me sick.

Lindsay said...

As you know, I am really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this subject because I would love to subscribe one that would be worth the money. I bought one of each a few months ago just to do some comparisons and whew, I couldn't believe some of what I saw!

Will be glad to see your thoughts!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Lindsay - I'll try to post the first part today. I may actually do this in 3 or 4 posts.