03 July 2012

A Southern Icon Has Passed


The star of my all time favorite TV show . . .


I've spent many a half-hour watching the classic TV show - "The Andy Griffith Show." I "grew up" with Opey. Over the last several years, my children have purchased me the first 5 seasons on DVD. And all 240+ shows are now available on NetFlix. The secret, I believe, to the show's enduring success was it's great character acting - from Barney to Floyd the Barber to Ernest T. Bass - the show's wide variety of characters is unforgettable. The down home, Southern flavor which reflected much of the South's cultural roots was something near and dear to my heart as well. I think I'll watch a couple episodes tonight.

Story here.

3 comments:

13thBama said...

My wife stated it perfectly, "it is the end of an era".

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Well-put. But you know, my kids and grandkids love the show as much as I do.

Lindsay said...

It's very telling that a number of generations connected with the show and its characters. He will be greatly missed.