04 August 2012

Relocating The Rural Bitter Clingers


A couple of years ago, I had a university professor tell me, "We all need to live in town." I was pretty sure I knew what he meant, but did not engage the pony-tailed pontificator--not because I wasn't up to the challenge, I just didn't have the time. He had swallowed the elitist notion that humans need to be corralled, controlled, and conformed in a commune-like environment. Yeah, I know, some of you who claim to be "the smartest among us" are likely rolling your eyes. Others of you know precisely what I'm talking about.

It is the age-old struggle of rural vs. urban values and ways of doing things. Now comes Stanley Kurtz with a book discussing on how and why ruling class elites like those in academia and government plan to accomplish relocating the bitter clingers. I've taken a quote from an article at National Review Online which was adapted from Kurtz's book, Spreading the Wealth: How Obama is Robbing the Suburbs to Pay for the Cities:

President Obama is not a fan of America’s suburbs. Indeed, he intends to abolish them. With suburban voters set to be the swing constituency of the 2012 election, the administration’s plans for this segment of the electorate deserve scrutiny. Obama is a longtime supporter of “regionalism,” the idea that the suburbs should be folded into the cities, merging schools, housing, transportation, and above all taxation. To this end, the president has already put programs in place designed to push the country toward a sweeping social transformation in a possible second term. The goal: income equalization via a massive redistribution of suburban tax money to the cities.
If that doesn't sound like a central-planning Marxist, my ancestors weren't mountain moonshiners. It reminds me of the old Soviet regime which tried all kinds of statist-hatched schemes to prop up an immoral, freedom-stifling, rotting system. That didn't work and neither will the bitter-clinger hater's plan work. Many cities rot due to the fact they're run by corrupt, left-wing politicians who keep trying the same failed policies over and over again.

I would encourage readers to take a look at Kurtz's piece. It's quite enlightening - and disturbing.

2 comments:

babu21 said...

nice t-shirt photo and moreover nice article! but what about the 'regionalism'
finally thanks
History

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

I don't understand your question. Please elaborate.